Who will win the World Cup?

Thursday, July 06, 2006



Everyone has an opinion about the world cup. Well, almost everyone... except some girl I spoke with who went "eeeh, i don't watch that stuff". For the rest of us, we all have our thoughts on what the big final will bring. And so, Secawan Bola took to the handphones and emails and even the streets, and found out what some of you think...


"I think Italy will win because they have more flair. The French don't seem to have the cutting edge. The Italians, their passing is so slick, and they're very tight at the back too. I think they have the advantage."

- KT, businessman


"It should be a good match although you would have to expect a lot of diving for penalties from the Italians. Being an Aussie part of me hopes the French win, because Zidane shows old people can still play and I don't want to see those mongrel Italians who robbed the Socceroos win. However the other part of me says go the Italians because that means the Socceroos could have won the World Cup if they hadn't been robbed by the Italians, win win both ways for me. In any case I think the French have played more consistently and it will more than likely be champagne over chianti."

- PS, general manager


"If Grosso, a defender, can put in such a beautiful curling shot past Lehmann, it's going to be an Italian victory against the more aged French side. Old man Zidane is still very good and together with Henry, France have a fighting chance. But I'll put my money on the more creative Italians. Italy should win!"

- Jeanie, homemaker


"France don't have the stamina. They looked tired in the second half against Portugal, and made lots of mistakes. If they go into the extra half an hour, they will not make it."

- Michael, former triathlete.

"I think this is Italy's year ... if they can avoid a penalty shootout that is ... because I think demons of old are going to haunt them if it does come down to that, being the superstitious people that they are."

- Vann, competitive Scrabbler


"I will have to go for Italy. I hope that they play like they did in the last 10 minutes against Australia and Germany. They proved they can play attacking football and not be remembered for their diving and histrionics. France have been disappointing and defensive. An early Italian goal will be the secret to an entertaining final. Otherwise, Italy to win on penalties."

- Shawn, senior legal writer



[get this widget]

0 comments: